Health Care Assistants include care aides and community health workers.
Every day, these dedicated health care staff work miracles to provide quality care to the frail elderly and others who require assistance with their personal care needs.
These care staff assist residents, patients and clients with their most intimate care needs like toileting, bathing, dressing and eating.
But care aides and community health workers are also like family, providing opportunities for the social interaction that is so fundamental to quality of life of the elderly.
Unfortunately, care aides and community health workers often struggle under impossible workloads to deliver good care in homes, nursing homes and hospitals.
On October 18 and every day, HEU celebrates the contributions of care aides and community health workers to quality care.
We're also asking for your help. Take action to support our call for better staffing levels and better care.
- Write an email to B.C.'s health minister and minister responsible for seniors. It just takes a minute or two.
- Visit the BC Health Coalition and support their call for an independent seniors' advocate.
- Watch a moving video about seniors' care and the challenges our members face delivery quality care.
- Read a recent report about seniors' care from the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.
- Print out a Health Care Assistant Day poster for your workplace!