Striking HEU members at Surrey’s Bear Creek to hold rally
Where: in front of Bear Creek Lodge 13646-94A Avenue Surrey, B.C.
When: June 19, noon - 1 p.m.
The fifty-five HEU members have been negotiating for a new collective agreement since September 2000, six months after their contract expired.
Bear Creek care givers are concerned the strike, which began on April 29, could go on indefinitely if the employer does not get serious about bargaining. The employer is saying “absolutely no” to:
- improvements to the one-day-a-month non accumulative sick leave
- a raise in salaries which are two to four dollars below the norm
- better injury-on-duty compensation
- vacation entitlement improvements
- benefits for part-time workers who get nothing right now