Update: first contract for Sodexho workers
This affects workers at the following locations:
Vancouver Coastal Health Authority
Fraser Health Authority
German Canadian Rest Home
Rosewood Care Centre
Central Care Home
First Contract Implementation
Your collective agreement covers all aspects of your working life. It contains many different "articles" or sections that direct everything from wages and benefits to job postings and scheduling.
Because this is a first contract, and it contains a complex set of rules and responsibilities, the entire agreement does not come into effect at the same time. Some articles were implemented within one week of ratification - December 20, 2005 - others are effective at later dates. This helps ensure that workers and their employer fully understand their rights and duties under each section of the collective agreement and how each article will be implemented in practice.
HEU and Sodexho met in mid-December to discuss the time frame for implementing your first collective agreement. It was agreed that - with some exceptions - all terms and conditions in the new contract would take full effect December 20, 2005.
Wages and Other Monetary Payments
The new hourly pay rate and uniform allowance became effective in the first full pay period - December 23, 2005 - January 6, 2006.
The January 6 cheque also included retroactive payments from May 1, 2005 to September 30, 2005 AND any eligible signing bonuses.
The May 1 retroactive pay was separated from your regular pay to reduce overpayment of taxes and other deductions.
The October 1, 2005 wage adjustment will be paid January 20, 2006.
- Union dues of 2.1% are deducted from wages only. No union dues are deducted on signing bonuses.
Article 26.02 (b) Selection of Vacation Period.
- The dates for submitting requests and receiving approval of vacation from Supervisors has been extended for one month to ensure employees have time to prepare their request.
Employees who want to take vacation during the months of March, April, May, June, July or August 31 must submit a written request no later than February 15, 2006 preceding the vacation. The Employer will respond no later than March 1, 2006.
- All jobs are to be posted and awarded in accordance with this section of your collective agreement. Seniority is the deciding factor among qualified applicants. The job posting format in Article 13.02 will be in place by January 31, 2006.
Definition of Employee Status
- Every employee will be defined under one employee status definition; Regular Full Time, Regular Part-Time or Casual. Every employee will have their status confirmed by Sodexho on or before January 31, 2006.
- Each regular employee will be provided with a copy of the summary description for their job classification by February 28, 2006.
Article 18 (a) (ii)
- Posting of schedules will take place fourteen days in advance of their effective date. This provision will be enforced no later than January 3, 2006.
- This section of the collective agreement is currently in dispute and has been referred to the mediator for a decision. Depending on the outcome, workers will have no less than four days, and as many as six days if the Union's argument prevails.
Occupational Health and Safety
- Although some health and safety committees are up and running already, many are not. The implementation date for all sites is March 31, 2006 with both the Union and Employer holding joint committee meetings and workplace inspections and investigations where necessary.
Casual Entitlement and Call In Procedure
Because Sodexho needs time to compile seniority lists according to hours worked, Date of Hire seniority may continue to be a temporary practice until January 31, 2006. However, no later than February 1, 2006 call in for casual work will be done on the basis of actual hours worked.
Union bulletin boards and union filing cabinet
- Implementation on or before January 31, 2006.
Union Shop Stewards
- The Union will advise the Employer on or before January 31, 2006.
Your new Collective Agreement
We expect that copies of your new collective agreement will be available to everyone in February, 2006. In the meantime, please refer to your Comprehensive Report. If you do not have a copy of the Comprehensive Report, contact your site representative.