Provincial Executive candidate information
Running for Provincial Executive positions
The HEU Constitution and By-Laws includes a process for campaigning by candidates for Provincial Executive elections held at HEU’s biennial conventions.
Article 6, Section A provides that:
"All delegates who wish to run for provincial office shall be allowed to announce their intention to Locals via faxes, email, phone message and word of mouth.
They may also submit their photograph, brief biographies and maximum two hundred (200) word candidate statement to the convention Committee ninety (90) days prior to Convention.
The Convention Committee will then send the candidate information in standard format to all the Locals forty-five (45) days prior to Convention."
- Bios and digital photos must be received by email <email@example.com> by Tuesday, August 7 at 5:00 p.m.
- Candidates must submit their biography via the online webform or by completing the Word template (contact Sharon Neufeld to get a copy emailed). If using the template form, it must be saved as a Word document when completed and emailed to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- No handwritten or faxed submissions will be accepted.
- Digital photos need to be emailed to <email@example.com>. Provincial Office staff will edit grammar, spelling and typos, but will not edit for style or length.
- Candidate statements exceeding the maximum length of 200 words will be returned to the candidate for editing, with a request for resubmitting the statement by the August 7th deadline. However, when using the online webform, the candidate statement box is pre-programmed to a maximum 200 words, so there's no worry about counting or exceeding the word count limit.
- These bios and photos will be formatted in a standardized style and posted on the union’s website in the HEU Convention 2018 section, and will be included in a mailing to delegates in September. Any submissions after August 7, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. deadline will not be included.
- If you require assistance or need additional information, please contact HEU communications assistant Sharon Neufeld at 604-456-7070 or 1-800-663-5813, local 7070.
These guidelines are strictly applied.
In addition, candidates can have the Provincial Office photocopy a leaflet for distribution.
- The Provincial Office will produce up to 1,000 copies of the leaflet
- The printer-ready leaflet can be copied on one or both sides as indicated by the candidate, on 8½ x 11 letter-sized white paper.
- The Provincial Office will not provide format, layout, editing assistance or folding of leaflets.
- Candidates are required to submit their leaflet by September 21, 2018. The photocopies will be ready for pick up or mailing to the candidate within two weeks. Candidates must provide a mailing address, or indicate if they wish to pick them up at the Provincial Office or at convention.
Bios, photos and leaflets are to be sent to Provincial Office by email only to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
DISCLAIMER: You must be a delegate to convention to run for a position on the Provincial Executive. If your local has not elected delegates and you wish to run for the P.E., it is required that you submit this form by the August 7, 2018 deadline. You can withdraw it afterwards if you are not selected by your local as a convention delegate.