Mediator awards first contract to Compass-employed workers at Guildford Seniors Village
Labour Relations Board mediator Grant McArthur has awarded
The union bargaining committee is satisfied that McArthur’s decision is the best contract possible at the present time and will provide important job security for members. The three-year collective agreement is effective October 28, with wage increases retroactive to October 27.
Cooks, servers and dishwashers will see an 11 per cent wage increase over the life of the agreement, while housekeeping and laundry workers will receive an increase of 14.6 per cent over the three-year term.
In addition to monetary improvements, members will benefit from union education and representation, as well as a grievance process and increased protections for resolving workplace issues and concerns.
Details of the mediated settlement include:
- Four per cent wage increases for cooks, servers and dishwashers, effective October 27 2008, with 3.5 per cent annual increases on November 1, 2009 and November 1, 2010. This means cooks will receive $17.93 an hour, and servers and dishwashers will receive $12.80 an hour, at the beginning of the third year of the agreement.
- Four per cent wage increases for housekeeping and laundry workers, effective October 27 2008, with a four per cent increase on November 1, 2009, a 4.5 per cent increase on November 1, 2010 and a 2.1 per cent increase on October 1, 2011. This means housekeepers and laundry workers will receive $12.80 an hour, at the end of the three-year agreement.
- An increase from zero to six paid sick days per year, non-cumulative.
- An increase from 50 to 100 per cent employer-paid B.C. Medical Services Plan premiums.
- An increase from 70 to 100 per cent employer-paid dental and extended health premiums.
- $200 vision care coverage every 24 months.
Copies of the collective agreement will be available shortly.
Bargaining committee members included Niki Reddy, Nimo
Warsane, Mehnaz Bano and