Settlement agreement reached for HEU members working for Compass at Williams Lake Seniors Village
The Hospital Employees’ Union bargaining committee reached a settlement agreement on March 23 for a first contract for cooks and servers working for Compass at Williams Lake Seniors Village.
This settlement agreement was reached with the assistance of labour arbitrator Brian Foley following an earlier strike vote by members.
A ratification vote will not be held because the settlement agreement was reached through a mediation/arbitration process under section 55 of the Labour Relations Code.
Highlights of the collective agreement – which is in effect from June 1, 2009 to December 31, 2011 – include:
- wage increases retroactive to June 1, 2009 as follows: 3.5 per cent on June 1, 2009; 3.5 per cent on June 1, 2010, and 4.3 per cent on June 1, 2011;
- sick leave provisions for regular employees will be three (3) days per calendar year effective January 1, 2010 and four (4) days per calendar year effective January 1, 2011;
- health and welfare benefits will remain status quo with the employer paying 70 per cent of the premiums and employees paying 30 per cent;
- seniority accumulation will be based on hours paid, not start date, and will be taken into account for job postings and call-in for vacant shifts; and
- language which provides a shop steward system, a grievance procedure, health and safety improvements, seniority rights, no contracting out, and others.
If you have any questions, please contact your bargaining committee Dianne Herrett or Bev Charleyboy, or HEU bargaining representative Heather Compton toll-free at 1-800-663-5813.