Strike vote delivered, talks continue Friday
Buoyed by an 89 per cent strike mandate, health unions told employers that workers have made it clear that employment security is their highest priority, and that they would not be bullied into accepting a massive concessions package as contract talks resumed for the first time since March 4.
On the final day before the current contract covering 43,000 hospital and long-term care workers expires, the multi-union bargaining committee told Health Employers Association of B.C. representatives that their contract-stripping package had been overwhelming rejected in every corner of the province and by every occupational group.
“Over the last three weeks, health care workers have sent a clear message that they’ve had enough,” says HEU secretary-business manager Chris Allnutt who speaks for the multi-union bargaining association.
“We delivered that message today and reinforced for employers the importance of putting layoff notices and contracting out on hold while bargaining takes place.”
Both sides have agreed to meet again on Friday.