Tentative agreement reached for HEU members at Ayre Manor Lodge
The union’s bargaining committee reached a tentative agreement on July 31 for HEU members employed by Beckley Farm Lodge Society at Ayre Manor Lodge in Sooke, B.C.
Highlights of the proposed first collective agreement - in effect from January 28, 2009 to March 31, 2012 – include:
- Wage increases – ranging from 4.5 per cent to 11 per cent – retroactive to April 1, 2009 for all classifications, except Resident Care Aides and Recreation Workers. (RCAs and RWs gave up a wage increase in 2009 in order to provide larger increases to the other classifications).
- Across-the-board wage increases of $0.50 per hour April 1, 2010 and April 1, 2011, an increase of 2.3 per cent to 3.5 per cent in each year.
- An increase to the evening, night and weekend shift premiums.
- Conversion of the 5.26 per cent paid on each paycheque into a Health and Welfare Plan, Sick Leave Plan, Special Leave Plan and RRSP Plan.
- The Health and Welfare Plan includes life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, extended health, dental, vision care, and a drug plan including a drug card.
- Accumulation of sick leave benefits to a maximum of 12 days per year (overall maximum of 30 days).
- Special leave entitlement includes four paid days annually for bereavement leave or serious household emergencies.
- Employees will continue to receive 4.2 per cent in lieu of statutory holidays.
The settlement – which your bargaining committee recommends acceptance – also includes language on “no contracting out” and health and safety, a shop steward system, a grievance procedure, and seniority rights.
** A Comprehensive Report with a draft of the collective agreement will be at the work site later this week. A ratification vote will be held Friday, August 14 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Ayre Manor Lodge.
Any questions, contact your bargaining committee Cheryl Wiebe or Mandy Truman, or HEU’s bargaining representative Heather Compton at 1-800-663-5813, extension 7034 (toll-free).
This contract covers resident care aides, recreation workers, cooks, servers, housekeepers, maintenance, and administrative assistants working at Ayre Manor Lodge, providing complex care, independent and assisted living services.