HEU encourages participation at solidarity events supporting January 21 “Women’s March on Washington”
The Hospital Employees’ Union is urging members to support the “Women’s March on Washington” by attending solidarity rallies planned in various B.C. communities, and by voicing messages of support online.
Women across North America and many parts of the world are organizing solidarity events on January 21 to coincide with the Washington march, and to demonstrate their commitment to the principles of equality, inclusion, and justice for all people.
The “Women's March on Washington” is a women-led movement calling on people of all genders, ages, races, cultures, political affiliations and backgrounds to send a bold message of resistance and self-determination, on the day following the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th U.S. president.
“This is an exciting and energizing act of resistance and solidarity protesting any plans by the new Washington administration to roll back critical equality rights in that country, and by doing so, embolden forces here and globally that would work to undermine our shared values of equity and social justice,” says HEU secretary-business manager Jennifer Whiteside.
Whiteside says members attending a solidarity event in their community should look for HEU flags as a gathering point. And for those who are unable to attend in person, people can join the online march at https://www.instagram.com/p/BPUsDOHAC55/.
Events are being held in the following cities in B.C., as well as other communities that the union will post as more information becomes available.
- In Victoria the event is at 1:00 p.m. at Centennial Square, 645 Fisgard Street
- In Vancouver the event is at 10:00 a.m. at Jack Poole Plaza, 1085 Canada Place https://www.facebook.com/events/232724467164012/
- In Kelowna the event is at 10:00 a.m. at The Sails, Abbot Street https://www.facebook.com/events/202959853499906/
- In Kamloops the event is at 10.00 a.m. at City Hall and will march to Riverside Park https://www.facebook.com/events/1326272374062846/
- In Nanaimo the event is at 10:00 a.m., Diana Krall Plaza and will march to Maffeo Sutton Park https://www.facebook.com/events/1366600353360394/
- In Grand Forks the event is at 10:00 a.m., Gyro Park (Central Avenue and 5th Street) https://actionnetwork.org/events/womens-march-grand-forks-bc
- On Pender Island the event is at 11:00 a.m. at the Driftwood Shopping Centre (4605 Bedwell Harbour Road) https://www.facebook.com/events/1904460549782512/
- In Robert's Creek the event is at 10:00 a.m. at The Gumboot Restaurant (1041 Roberts Creek Road) https://www.facebook.com/events/661431884036008/
Read the Statement of Principles by US March organizers