Special notice to union’s 27th biennial convention delegates
The HEU Constitution and By-Laws (Article 6, Section A) includes a process for candidates to campaign for positions on the Provincial Executive. P.E. elections are held at the union’s biennial conventions. We encourage locals to circulate this information to all elected delegates attending our October 24 to 29 convention at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver.
Guidelines for submitting biographical profiles:
- each bio should include the candidate’s name, job title and local, and must be received at the Provincial Office by 5:00 p.m. on July 27
- bios must be 200 words maximum and submitted digitally (by email) as an attached Word document or in the body of an email
- Provincial Office staff will edit grammar, spelling and typos, but will not edit for style or length
- bios that exceed the maximum length of 200 words will be returned to the candidate for editing and will need to be resubmitted by the deadline
- candidates are encouraged to declare the position for which they wish to run (this does not preclude nominations from the floor), as well as give a brief statement about why they’re running and what they hope to accomplish while in office
- include relevant past and present experience such as local union positions, provincial committees, bargaining committees, and broader labour movement experience, plus any other information the candidate chooses to cover
- please submit digital photos only (no need to crop or resize photos, as we’ll do that for you)
Bios received in the proper format by the July 27, 2010 deadline will be included in the mailing to delegates in September.
Candidate information on HEU website
In addition to the special mailing to delegates, there’s an opportunity for candidates to share information with members in the 2010 convention section on HEU’s website.
Bios received by September 10, 2010 will be posted on the website beginning September 24. The guidelines listed above will be strictly applied.
Also, candidates have the option to distribute leaflets. The Provincial Office will photocopy – up to 1,000 copies – of a leaflet for you. The photocopy-ready leaflet will be copied in black and white only, on one or both sides as indicated by the candidate, on letter-size (8½ X 11) white paper.
The Provincial Office will not provide format, layout, editing assistance or folding of leaflets. Candidates must submit their leaflet by September 2, 2010. The photocopies will be ready for pick up or mailing to the candidate within two weeks of receipt.
Please send bios and leaflets to the HEU Provincial Office:
5000 North Fraser Way
Burnaby, B.C. V5J 5M3
*Note: This information was sent out in the July 8 secretary-treasurer mailing, but the union wanted to widely circulate this to delegates due to tight timelines.