HEU’s Constitution and By-Laws (Article 6) provides an opportunity for delegates running for Provincial Executive (P.E.) positions to submit a candidate statement and photo for distribution to HEU locals in advance of the November convention.
Delegates may submit a brief biography, a candidate statement of no more than 200 words, and a photo to the HEU Convention Committee 90 days before the convention. That deadline is Tuesday, August 3 at 5 pm.
Your submitted information will be forwarded in a standard format to HEU locals 45 days prior to convention as per the constitution. That date is September 17.
You must be a delegate to the HEU convention in order to run for election to the Provincial Executive at the November 1—5 convention. You can find a description of the roles of the PE positions in Article 7 of the constitution.
Please note that you are not required to submit a candidate statement by the August 3 deadline in order to be nominated as a candidate at the convention. There will also be an opportunity for delegates seeking nomination to post a photo and bio at the convention prior to the election.
As the convention will be held virtually, these will be available on the virtual convention platform.
The 21 positions that will be elected at the 2021 convention are:
- Financial Secretary
- 1st Vice-President
- 2nd Vice-President
- 3rd Vice-President
- Senior Trustee-Elect
- Senior Trustee
- Fraser (3 positions)
- Interior (3 positions)
- Northern (2 positions)
- Vancouver Coastal (3 positions)
- Vancouver Island (2 positions)
If you wish to submit a candidate bio, statement and photo, please send your information by email to email@example.com by 5 pm on Tuesday, August 3.
Please follow these instructions:
- Put “PE Election” in the subject line of the email
- Attach a photo (optional) to the email. It should be in .jpg or .png format, original size, not cropped (HEU communications will crop and resize photos)
- Include in the body of the email your name, local, and the position for which you wish to seek election
- You can provide your biography and candidate statement in the body of the email or in an attached Word or text document. Please no handwritten or scanned/.pdf documents.
- 100 words maximum for the biography (e.g. union positions held, occupation, other relevant activities or positions)
- 200 words maximum for the candidate statement (e.g. Why are you running for the PE?)
- Light editing for spelling and grammar, and standard layout, will be provided but content will be cut off if you exceed the word counts as outlined above.