Two-Day Intro Shop Steward Workshops Levels 1 and 2
HEU will be holding two-day Intro Shop Steward Workshops throughout the province in 2020.
These courses gives participants the skills and confidence they need to become shop stewards. It also teaches new stewards how to foster union solidarity and motivate our members and supporters into action when required.
Participants learn the most effective ways to handle grievances and complaints, the responsibilities they accept as shop stewards, guidelines for interpreting and defending collective agreement provisions, and basic health and safety concepts.
The Introduction to Shop Steward training is provided in two levels.
Level 1 - A two-day introductory workshop with classroom instruction. It is intended for members new to stewarding.
Level 2 - After six to 12 months of workplace experience (including grievance handling), stewards can proceed to level two training, which is an additional two-day workshop.
These workshops are two days in length and are designed to offer information, skills and tools for members who are active shop stewards at the work site, or who are interested in becoming active shop stewards.
Dates and Locations: Intro Shop Steward Workshops, Level 1
• Nanaimo February 25-26, Application deadline January 21
• Victoria March 3-4, Application deadline January 28
• Burnaby March 10-11, Application deadline February 4
• Kamloops March 24-25, Application deadline February 18
• Kelowna March 31- April 1, Application deadline February 24
• Prince George May 12-13, Application deadline April 7
• Nelson May 26-27, Application deadline April 21
• Burnaby June 16-17, Application deadline May 11
Dates and Locations: Intro Shop Steward Workshops, Level 2
• Kelowna September 22-23, Application deadline August 18
• Prince George October 6-7, Application deadline September 1
• Victoria October 13-14, Application deadline September 8
• Burnaby November 17-18, Application deadline October 12