HEU equity caucuses
As a socially conscious union, HEU’s struggle for justice is aimed at ending discrimination and unfair treatment in all its forms – both in the workplace and in society at-large.
That commitment also reaches beyond our own borders to workers in other countries who need our support and solidarity. And it is the cornerstone of our efforts to promote global peace, environmental awareness, and respect for human rights.
In 1994, HEU established four equity committees to recognize the diversity of our membership and to help end discrimination based on race, gender, ethnic background, disability or sexual orientation.
And in 2008, delegates to the union’s biennial convention passed a resolution making the Women’s Committee a standing committee as well.
Working with HEU’s equity officer, these committees provide outreach and advocacy to HEU members, and work in solidarity with other social justice groups.
Every two years, the caucuses gather at equity conferences to discuss current issues, create action plans, and elect standing committee members.
Representatives from each standing committee sit on national equality committees through the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) and CUPE, as well as the Provincial Executive’s Equal Opportunities Subcommittee (EOC).
- Committee for Ethnic Diversity (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- First Nations Standing Committee (email: email@example.com)
- Pink Triangle Standing Committee (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- People with disAbilities Standing Committee (email: email@example.com)
- Women’s Standing Committee (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Check out the links to the left for more information on our equity caucuses.