Show your HEU Pride at festivities in your community this summer
The month of June officially kicks off Pride festivities across the country. Canadians will be waving rainbow flags from coast-to-coast in a show of solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community. And HEU encourages all members to join in.
In recent years, the LGBT acronym (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) has evolved and expanded in recognition of queer, transsexual, two-spirited, intersex, and non-binary people.
Supporting Pride events is a way of showing solidarity in promoting dignity, respect and human rights for LGBTQ+ people in the workplace, in our communities and in our families.
It’s also a way to celebrate how far we’ve come, while remembering that transphobia, homophobia and biphobia are still all too common for many LGBTQ+ people, here in B.C. and around the world.
Here are some upcoming events taking place in B.C.:
- June 1 – Fort St. John Pride Walk (Centennial Park; 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
- June 4-9 – Nanaimo Pride Week; June 9 – Nanaimo Pride Parade; 12:00 noon downtown, and Nanaimo Pride Festival (Sutton Park; 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
- June 15-22 – Kelowna Pride Week (details TBD)
- June 22 – East Side Pride (Grandview Park, Vancouver; 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
- June 22 – North Island Pride Festival (Campbell River Spirit Square; 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.)
- June 29 – Surrey Pride Party in the Plaza (Central City Shopping Centre Plaza; 3:00 to 8:00 p.m.)
- July 6 – Prince George Pride (details TBD)
- July 8 – Victoria Pride (corner of Pandora and Government; 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., followed by festivities at MacDonald Park at 12:30 p.m.)
- July 12-20 – Fraser Valley Pride Festival; July 20 – parade (Jubilee Park; 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.)
- June 14-16 – Alberni Valley Pride; June 16 Picnic in the Park (Blair Park; 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
- August 2-5 – ArtsWells Festival Opening Parade/Rainbow Pride (in collaboration with Prince George, Williams Lake and Quesnel Pride societies) on August 2 (Wells and Barkerville)
- August 4 – Vancouver Pride Parade 12:00 p.m. downtown, followed by festivities at Sunset Beach till 6:00 p.m.)
- August 10-17 – New West Pride Week; August 17 – Pride Street Party (Columbia Street; 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.)
- August 25 – Kamloops Pride Parade (Riverside Park; 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.)
- September 1 – Kootenay Pride Parade (Baker Street, Nelson; 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
- October 8-13 – Elk Valley Pride Festival (Fernie; location and times TBD)
If we have missed an event in your area, please send details to <email@example.com>.
We encourage you to get involved, march in a parade, or voluntarily staff an information table at any of these events. We welcome all HEU members, their families and friends.
Please contact HEU equity officer Jennifer Efting (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get connected to an event near you.